As a frequent traveler and someone who refuses to spend money on things like high foreign interest rates and monthly fees. It’s important for me to have a credit card that’s not only affordable but perfect for my lifestyle hence I will always opt for Travel credit cards. They offer an opportunity to earn free points and miles, sign up bonuses, loyalty points, special discounts, and more. By using your credit card(s) wisely you can get tons of free or discounted air tickets, hotel rooms and vacations.
So when Standard Bank invited me to be part of their local “Amazing Race”-type competition dubbed #DiscoverYourNext campaign, I was more than excited to learn about their new World Citizen Credit Card. They paired four bloggers/influencers with Standard Banks popular June social media competition, “What’s Your Next?” winners:
Left to Right: Kiki Marli, Nhlanhla Magama, Michael Cost, Rotondwa Musitha, Me, Lehlogonolo Selathla, Siya and Yoliswa Mqoco.
The day started with breakfast at Standard Bank’s headquarters in Rosebank, Johannesburg where Head of Card Issuing – Retail, Israel Skosana shared that “Whether you’re traveling for business, leisure or even ‘bleisure”, the World Citizen Credit Card can ensure everything goes smoothly, facilitating the steps needed to reach your ‘next’. ”
We had to make our way to OR Tambo International Airport via Gautrain to board a flight to Cape Town.
Tip: Always check in online to avoid issues. Trust me, I learned the hard way.
Upon arrival in Cape Town we were handed another clue which required us to find a Hertz Car Rental where we were given a license plate and we had to run around in the parking lot looking for our cars.
We proceeded to Cape Town CBD to find a Standard Bank “What’s Your Next” Billboard on a popular street that starts with “L”. After driving up and down on Long Street four times we realised the Billboard was on Loop Street.
Related Post: How I afford to travel
At an elevation of 1,067 metres (3,501 ft). The cableway offers views over Cape Town, Table Bay and Robben Island to the north, and the Atlantic seaboard to the west and south.
Tip: Save time and skip the ticket office queue by buying your ticket online.
Our next challenge was to find the Cape Town Lodge Hotel. After getting lost and having to deal with traffic, I was convinced we were the last team but fortunately Lehlogonolo and I (Team Citizen) were the second team to arrive.
World Citizen Credit Card Perks
Perhaps the easiest way to determine whether signing up for a card is worth it is by sizing up the perks that come with it. Here are the benefits of the World Citizen Credit Card from Standard Bank
• Up to 25% off Emirates Flights.
• Access to Bidvest airport lounges and over 800 international Loungekey airport lounges. (24 annual visits to these lounges.)
• Up to 15% off Hertz car rentals.
• Free comprehensive travel insurance when you book a flight with the credit card, which includes:
– Cover for baggage loss (up to USD3 000), baggage delay (up to USD300), and trip cancellation (up to USD7 500).
– Personal accident insurance – up to USD500 000
– ATM robbery insurance – if you are robbed of your cash within 15 minutes of withdrawal, or forced to withdraw money from an ATM
– Purchase protection – purchases you make are protected in case of theft or accidental damage up to 90 days from the date of purchase with cover of up to USD3 000 per claim
– Emergency medical evacuation and repatriation – up to USD500 000
– Medical emergency expenses – up to USD500 000
– Daily in-hospital cash benefit – USD100 per day
• Mind-blowing accommodation benefits:
Enjoy exclusive benefits and amenities at some of the world’s finest hotels, such as:
– The Starwood Group, Raffles Fairmont, Swissotel Hotels & Resorts, and Carlson Rezidor Hotel Group
To take advantage of the above, simply go to the MasterCard For You app, click on Lifestyle, browse Gold Status Discounts and Exclusive Spa Offers at Hotels.
As someone who travels frequently , my favorite feature is the discounted flights as that’s what I spend most of my money on. My least favorite feature is that you only have access to lounges 24 times per annum. Overall, I would recommend the World Citizen Credit Card to frequent travelers.
Vlogger, Michael Cost shared a video of the Amazing Race. Watch it HERE
To learn more about the World Citizen Credit Card, visit www.standardbank.co.za
Do you have a travel credit card? How do you like it? Let me know in the comments.
Disclaimer: This post is a collaboration with Standard Bank South Africa